Birnie, Dunbar P., III
- Title: Professor and Corning Saint-Gobain Malcolm G. McLaren Chair
- Department / Research Program: Materials Science and Engineering
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 848-445-5605
- Detailed Profile: https://mse.rutgers.edu/fac/dunbar-birnie
- Research Areas: Photovoltaic devices, Solar power systems, Solar+battery systems for energy resilience, Future electric transportation, Renewable energy storage in vehicle batteries.
- Energy Research Focus: Chemical growth of thin film solar cells to enable low-cost future solar technology. Looking at earth-abundant compositions and environmentally friendly chemistries. Interested in the logistical, social, and technological aspects of our transformation from gasoline to electricity for regular commuter transportation in our densely populated state. This is embodied in the "Solar-2-Vehicle" project that emphasizes work-place solar generation and vehicle plug-in to supply reasonable local commuting on green power. Interested in strategically adding battery capacity to solar array sites to provide energy resiliency in future storm/mishap scenarios. We have focused on solar availability and the relative match in size of battery with the size of the solar array.